One of the likely results of an extended SHTF situation will be a lack of power. In light of this, being prepared for this situation makes good sense.
So, thanks to backdoorsurvival.com, here is a quick rundown of steps to get prepared for a prolonged power outage:
- Store foods that are ready to eat (or require minimal preparation). – Pretty self explanatory. If you don’t have to refrigerate it or cook it, then it will last longer and you can use it when you don’t have power.
- Get a non-electricity dependent method of cooking. – This could be a solar stuff, a rocket stove, a fire pit with a pot. Get or make something.
- Store cooking fuel. – If you’re using a wood burning stove, store wood. If you’re using a gas grill, stock up on that. You get the idea.
- Have a good, working propane lantern and several flashlights with fresh batteries. – Pretty self-explanatory.
- Have some blankets and other ways to stay warm if the power outage is in winter.
- Consider getting a generator. – Because sometimes, it’s just plain useful to have the electricity. You may want to consider solar power as an alternative.
Just some quick idea so that you can be ready because, when it hits, it’s not likely to give you much warning.
Have tips for preparing for a prolonged power outage? Tell them to us below.