Allergies are truly miserable, as anyone who suffers from them can attest to. But, if you’ve gotten used to taken pharmaceuticals to deal with allergy symptoms, what are you going to do when the stuff hits the fan and those pharmaceuticals are in short supply and difficult to obtain?
Fortunately, there are a number of natural remedies which can be helpful in dealing with allergies which may just bring you some relief in a disaster situation. Mary Miller gives us a list of a number of plants to use for this purpose. Here they are with our comments:
- Marshmallow Root: Now, this isn’t something that you want to make smores with, but it is useful in helping when you are dealing with a bad cough or large amounts of phlegm. A warning, though. Miller writes,
The only downside to taking marshmallow root is that it can inhibit the absorption of other molecules and nutrients. Because of this, it is recommended that you allow at least two to three hours to pass in between the time that you the marshmallow root and the time that you ingest other herbs.
- Butterbur: A member of the ragweed family (so if you have a ragweed allergy, this one isn’t for you), this can help with a variety of difficulties such as headaches, cramps, and cold and flu symptoms.
- Ginger: Long known for it’s usefulness in aiding digestion, ginger also helps to reduce inflammation and stomach irritation. I particularly like ginger tea.
- Turmeric: This herb can help to open up bronchial passages and, as such, can be useful in alleviating asthma symptoms.
- Mullein: Another herb to help with asthma treatment by reducing the likelihood of catching a respiratory infection.
- Stinging Nettles: This herbal remedy helps to reduce inflammation and helps to reduce sneezing and nasal congestion.
- Oregano: This may be the go to herb for herbal remedies because of its usefulness in so many situations. Not only is oregano tasty as a seasoning, it also helps to stop nasal infections.
Please note that, as you consider using any of these herbal remedies, take caution in how they are used. Pregnant or nursing mothers will want to be cautious about what they ingest for the health of their children, and oregano, especially, needs to used carefully because different uses can injure house pets or cause other issues. As with any herbal remedy, use caution and become informed before using.
Do you have other herbal remedies to help allergy sufferers? Share them below.