Now Reading
These Plants Will Kill You If You’re Not Very Careful

These Plants Will Kill You If You’re Not Very Careful

Deadly Plants

Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with.

Seemingly on a daily basis, people are reminded of the carnage of a natural disaster, but forget about smaller threats that the wild poses.

Here are everyday plants that can kill you if you’re not careful.

Many plants are a beauty to behold.

The last thing you’d think is that they were potentially deadly.

But that is the case with several plants, including relatively common ones.

Here are six plants you should handle with care.

Belladonna

The plant known as “deadly nightshade” usually grows on the edges of forests and stretches of road.

It also grows on river banks.

Belladonna has black berries and foliage that contain potentially deadly toxins if ingested.

The onset of symptoms occurs within a half hour and includes swelling, rashes, nausea, shortness of breath, blue lips, spasms, and disorientation.

If untreated, Belladonna can cause death.

Induce vomiting immediately and get to a doctor.

Daffodil

Daffodils are primarily bright yellow and thrive best in colder habitats.

Don’t let the cheerful yellow fool you.

Daffodils, particularly their bulbs, are poisonous.

They can cause stomach pain, vomiting, drooling, spasms, and arrhythmia.

Even close proximity to the toxicity indoors can cause headaches.

Hellebore

Hellebores are typically a soft purple and are routinely found in gardens across the United States.

Hellebores can grow to over six-feet tall and are popular among gardeners because they’re resistant to frost and are able to bloom in winter conditions.

The entire plant is poisonous to both humans and pets, so it must be handled with care.

Symptoms of hellebore poisoning include paralysis, temporary blindness, vomiting, and even death if left untreated for too long.

Lily of the Valley

This plant has inviting white bulbs that make it seem harmless, but it can cause severe damage.

If ingested, lily of the valley can cause vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, disorientation, and arrhythmia.

The toxins need to be flushed from the system immediately with laxatives.

Oleander

Oleanders are popular plants that are usually either white or light pink.

Not only are oleanders pretty to look at, but they also have an inviting fragrance.

However, the entire plant is toxic and potentially deadly.

If you’re poisoned by oleander, you will experience vomiting, seizures, and a reduced heart rate, which can lead to drowsiness and fainting.

Activated charcoal, a substance used to treat overdose patients, or laxatives might be needed to quickly flush the system.

Water Hemlock

Water hemlock is a harmless-looking white gossamer, but it contains a potentially deadly liquid called cicutoxin that causes severe symptoms if ingested.

Cicutoxin attacks the central nervous system, which can trigger violent convulsions.

If the poison is treated early with activated charcoal, the effects can be abated.

However there is no antidote, so the symptoms might persist and may need to be treated with anti-seizure medications.

The fact that the effects can be permanent sets Water Hemlock apart from other poisonous plants, which are dangerous in their own right, but only cause acute symptoms.

Comments

comments

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

2019 Rising Media News Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved. All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast, in whole or part, without the prior written permission of Rising Media News Network, LLC.